The U15 respects individual privacy and complies with all applicable laws in hosting COGNITCA.
Use of Publicly-Available Information
1. The COGNIT.CA website is a service to the research community that relies on publicly-available data about Canadian research. (See data sources for more information.) Individuals with concerns about the information presented on COGNIT.CA are invited to contact us at [email protected] Users may be re-directed to the primary data provider – e.g. NSERC, SSHRC or CIHR.
Institution and User Accounts
2. Research institutions (e.g. universities, hospitals, etc.) may be permitted to create a COGNIT.CA institution account by providing the U15 with the name of an administrator and valid business e-mail address. The U15 uses account information to provide service and communicate with account holders.
3. Users may also be permitted to create a COGNIT.CA account to access additional services (e.g., research monitoring). As part of this, users may be asked for additional information (e.g., research areas of interest). The U15 may use this data to deliver services to the user. In addition, The U15 may use the data to develop other products or services. Unless a user has explicitly consented to publicly sharing this data, The U15 will not share data or analyses that could reasonably identify the user or their organization.
4. When a user accesses COGNIT.CA, various pieces of data are exchanged between the user’s computer and the U15. The U15 stores this transactional data, which consists of:
- IP address and corresponding domain name, if available
- Operating system and web browser employed
- Address of any referring website site
- Applicable search engine queries
- Pages visited on COGNIT.CA
- Date, time and duration of the visit
- Queries made on COGNIT.CA’s search engine.
5. The U15 gathers this data in order to improve its service, develop new services, demonstrate value to existing or potential supporters and address site security and related issues.
6. The U15 may make statistics about searches available to research institutions to facilitate planning or decision making. Any statistics that could be reasonably be used to identify a natural person are not shared.
7. The U15 ordinarily retains logs of browsing activity for two weeks to facilitate troubleshooting. Logs related to system errors are ordinarily retained for up to two years. Use analytics data is ordinarily retained for up to three years.
Communications and Contact Forms
9. The U15 retains and uses information sent to it via e-mail and submitted through the COGNIT.CA “feedback” form to improve service and develop new services, for communication purposes and for related administration.
10. The COGNIT.CA “contact institution” form allows users to send messages to various third-parties via COGNIT.CA. The U15 delivers messages to intended recipients. It retains only metadata about messages, though masks user e-mail addresses to protect against re-identification.
11. Users may sign-up for e-mail communications about COGNIT.CA. Users may unsubscribe from these communications at any time.
Use of Third-Party Services
12. The U15 uses the following third-party services in operating COGNIT.CA:
|Amazon Web Services||COGNIT.CA is hosted by Amazon Web Services. For more information click here.||No|
|Cloudfare||COGNIT.CA uses Cloudflare to enhance the website’s performance and security. From more information click here.||Yes|
|Google Analytics||COGNIT.CA user analytics is supported by Google. For more information click here.||Yes|
|Usersnap||COGNIT.CA user feedback is supported by Usersnap. For more information click here.||Yes|
|Sentry||COGNIT.CA web application error tracking is supported by Sentry. For more information click here.||No|
13. The U15 employs reasonable physical, technical and administrative security measures to protect COGNIT.CA data from unauthorized access and handling as well as loss and theft. Employees of the U15 who are given access to COGNIT.CA data are required to use and disclose it only as authorized by the U15.
14. This document was originally drafted in English and has been translated into French for the convenience of users. For matters involving the interpretation of any portion of this document, the official text shall be the English version of the document.
15. All privacy-related inquires and inquires about this document may be directed to the U15 privacy officer at [email protected]